Siegen’s historic city hall stands directly below the Krönchen. The building accommodates the mayor’s office, many of the city administrative functions and the tourist information office (entrance on Kornmarkt).
The building can trace its (decidedly colourful) history back to the year 1224. Aside from being a seat of local government and the municipal authority, it has served as an armoury, prison, courthouse, ballroom and butcher’s stalls.
During the Second World War, the building was almost completely destroyed in a bombing raid in 1944. The replacement structure we see today was built between 1947 and 1957. Some administrative areas are managed from the district town halls of Weidenau and Geisweid.
For more information: www.siegen.de