Skip navigation


The Unteres Schloss

It was initially a Franciscan monastery, then an academy, residential palace, public authority building, a mining school and eventually a branch of the Attendorn penal institution: the colourful history of the Unteres Schloss stretches back to the 15th century.

After the friars vacated the building, a magnificent three-wing castle complex was built in its place between 1695 and 1720, with construction overseen by the Protestant Prince of Nassau-Siegen.
Today, the Unteres Schloss accommodates part of the University of Siegen. Every year, the wide expanse of the Schlossplatz hosts such events as Siegen’s Christmas market, open-air cinema, public viewing, concerts and much more.